Family can be stressful. While the home is often viewed as a sanctuary from the outside world, tensions in the household can disrupt our ability to feel safe at home. Of course, it is perfectly natural for families to experience stress as people and dynamics grow and change. Sometimes, however, life can throw a curve ball and present more of a challenge than any person or family is prepared for. During these instances, it is important to know what resources are available. Family therapy programs provide relief during these moments via individual and group psychological counseling. When searching for family therapy programs or other mental health treatment and addiction therapy programs in North Carolina, reach out to the experts at Insight Recovery Centers by calling 828.826.1376.
What Is Family Counseling?
Family counseling and family therapy are often used as interchangeable terms. Both offer many of the same services and teach similar skills. The primary difference between the two is in the credentials held, which may affect the family therapy program’s approach to treatment. Family counseling and family therapy often start with a one-on-one meeting with each family member. This session is an opportunity for the therapist or counselor to gauge the perspectives of all members of the household. Following this session, a treatment plan will be developed that caters to the specific needs and wants of the family. Families often seek out help from a therapist or counselor after experiencing the following:
- Tension and conflict
- Issues in communication
- Behavior problems
- Mental illness
- Illness and medical issues
- Caring for a family member with special needs
Unfortunately, there is no guidebook magically received when one starts or is born into a family. The only way to find answers to family-based issues is together as a unit, and family therapy can help provide guidance.
How to Find Family Therapy Programs in Asheville, North Carolina
With the help of instruments such as Bing, Google, and Yahoo, finding a family therapy program won’t be difficult. However, that doesn’t guarantee that the first place one finds is the best fit. In addition, the sheer number of options provided by search engines can be overwhelming and, in effect, discouraging. That is why, when searching for family therapy programs in Asheville, North Carolina, one must try to try and identify the issues that affect the family most so that the best treatment may be found. The situations listed above can induce dysfunction in any family, but these issues often share similar solutions:
- Creating boundaries – Boundaries are often a touchy subject in families and can be perceived very differently depending on the family member. Creating and asserting one’s boundaries can help improve family dynamics and relieve tension between members.
- Problem-solving skills – Family therapy programs equip families with tools and coping mechanisms that can be used in all walks of life, both in and outside the household.
- Improved communication – Communication is often at the heart of what causes dysfunction within the family. When members don’t feel heard or acknowledged, assumptions and judgments are bound to arise and create tension. Family therapists work to provide communication skills that value all perspectives within the household.
The lessons taught in family therapy can help families overcome obstacles while also learning to be more understanding and respectful of one another.
Getting Help at Insight Recovery
When considering a family therapy program in Asheville, North Carolina, consider Insight Recovery. Insight Recovery offers a wide range of therapeutic services delivered by a devoted team of specialists assembled to provide the best care possible. For more information on our family therapy programs or to schedule your appointment today, contact us at 828.826.1376.