Trauma therapy is a form of therapeutic intervention that aims to help individuals cope with the emotional and psychological aftermath of experiencing a traumatic event. It involves various techniques and approaches designed to address and alleviate the distressing symptoms often associated with trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Insight Recovery Center in Asheville offers addiction therapy programs in North Carolina. If you or a loved one are struggling with substance use disorder or mental health concerns brought about by trauma, help is available at 828.826.1376.
What Is Trauma Care?
This form of therapy recognizes the significant impact that trauma can have on a person’s mental health and everyday life. It focuses on helping individuals understand their trauma, process their feelings, and develop coping strategies. Trauma therapy can involve different methods, including cognitive behavioral therapy, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, and prolonged exposure therapies.
The ultimate goal of trauma therapy is to help individuals regain control of their lives, reduce the power of traumatic memories, and improve their overall well-being.
Common Types of Trauma that Can Benefit from a Trauma Therapy Program
Some of the most common forms of trauma that can be addressed with trauma therapy include:
- Physical or sexual abuse
- Combat-related stress from military service
- Car accidents, injuries, or other traumatic events
- Natural disasters and severe weather events
- The death of a loved one or close friend
- Family violence or neglect
- Long-term medical treatments or hospitalization
- Bullying, harassment, or social discrimination
These sources of trauma can lead to life-long challenges and often result in substance use disorders or mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD. A professional trauma therapy program can help individuals manage their symptoms and recover from the effects of physical or psychological trauma.
Benefits of Trauma Therapy for Addiction Recovery
At Insight Recovery Center, we understand that many people who struggle with addiction have trauma in their pasts. We offer a range of therapeutic services to support our clients on the path to recovery. Some of the key benefits of trauma therapy for addiction recovery include the following:
- Processing traumatic memories and reducing their power over your life.
- Understanding how past traumas are influencing recent actions and behaviors.
- Developing healthier coping mechanisms to manage stress or difficult emotions.
- Learning effective ways to regulate emotions, increase impulse control, and reduce cravings.
- Building a stronger sense of trust in yourself and others, which can improve relationships.
- Regaining control over your life by developing better problem-solving skills.
If you or someone you know is seeking help for substance use disorder or mental health concerns related to trauma, Insight Recovery Center is here to provide compassionate care and support.
Common Therapeutic Approaches to Trauma Care
Our compassionate and supportive behavioral health specialists use a variety of therapeutic approaches for our trauma therapy program in Asheville, NC. These evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches include the following:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – This type of therapy helps individuals recognize and change patterns of thought, behavior, and emotions that are leading to destructive outcomes.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – This type of therapy helps individuals accept their experiences, identify values and goals, and increase commitment to taking positive action in their lives.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) – This type of therapy uses cognitive and behavioral techniques to help individuals manage their emotions, reduce impulsivity, and increase problem-solving skills.
- Equine Therapy – This type of therapy uses horses to help individuals build trust, increase social skills, and manage difficult emotions.
- Yoga Therapy – This type of therapy uses movement, breathing exercises, and meditation to promote relaxation, mindfulness, and better overall well-being.
These therapeutic approaches can promote healing and recovery and lead to greater well-being.
Discover Trauma Counseling at Insight Recovery Center Today
At Insight Recovery Center, we believe in the power of trauma therapy and its potential to bring real, lasting change in the lives of those who seek recovery from addiction. We are committed to providing personalized care and a safe environment for healing and growth.