Millions of Americans struggle with addiction every day. Not only those caught in the cycle of addiction, but friends, families, and co-workers find themselves adversely affected. However, it is possible to break the cycle of addiction. Insight Recovery Center offers professional addiction therapy in Asheville, North Carolina. Our psychotherapy program provides a pathway toward healing and recovery.
Addiction is a disease—a complex brain disorder and mental illness. At Insight Recovery Center, we understand that everyone experiences substance use disorder differently. That is why we provide an intimate treatment environment and personalized treatment approach that addresses each client’s individual needs. Professional, experienced clinicians administer psychotherapy for addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
Call 828.826.1376 for more information about our services and treatment programs.
What Is Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy is the use of psychological techniques to treat mental illnesses and behavioral disorders. Also known as talk therapy, psychotherapy can be used to treat a wide range of conditions, including addiction and other substance use disorders.
There are a number of different psychotherapy techniques that can be used in addiction treatment. These techniques help individuals identify the core causes of their addictive behaviors, manage negative emotions and stress, and develop healthy coping strategies for dealing with difficult situations.
Types of Therapeutic Techniques Used in a Psychotherapy Program
Many evidence-based therapies are prevalent in psychotherapy. It is not uncommon to use multiple therapeutic approaches during treatment for substance use disorder and/or co-occurring mental health issues like depression or anxiety. Many of these techniques were created for specific conditions and developed further for broader applications. They are most effective when administered in a customized manner that meets the individual needs of each client.
Some common therapeutic techniques used in psychotherapy programs for addiction treatment include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): This popular therapeutic approach focuses on helping individuals identify unhealthy thought patterns and develop better coping strategies.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): This therapeutic approach focuses on improving emotional regulation skills and increasing mindful awareness of one’s environment.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI): This therapeutic approach focuses on helping individuals resolve their ambivalence about changing their addictive behaviors and developing coping strategies.
- Trauma therapy: This is a therapeutic approach that focuses on helping individuals understand the connection between past traumatic experiences and their current substance use behaviors.
- Group therapy: Group therapy provides a supportive setting where individuals can connect with others who are also struggling with addiction and learn from their experiences.
Overall, psychotherapy is an essential component of any successful treatment program for addiction. It helps individuals identify patterns of thoughts and behaviors that lead to drug use, develop healthy coping and stress management techniques, learn to self-regulate their emotions, and work through past trauma in a safe and supportive environment.
The Benefits of Psychotherapy for Addiction
It can help individuals understand the underlying factors that drive their addictive behaviors, develop improved coping skills, and embrace healthier lifestyle choices. In addition, psychotherapy can also help individuals build a more robust support network of family and friends who can provide emotional and practical support throughout the recovery process.
Some of the most common outcomes of psychotherapy for addiction include the following:
● Increased motivation and commitment to recovery
● Increased awareness of triggers that may lead to relapse
● Improved self-esteem and sense of well-being
● Greater ability to manage stress and emotions
● Better coping skills for overcoming difficult situations
● Stronger relationships and support network
Discover Our Psychotherapy Program at Insight Recovery Center
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, consider seeking professional treatment. Insight Recovery Center offers a psychotherapy program in Asheville, NC that can help you break the cycle of addiction and begin your journey toward recovery. Call 828.826.1376 today to get started, or contact us online.