Those struggling with substance use disorder are often said to be caught in the cycle of addiction. It is a cycle because many individuals want to give up drugs and/or alcohol and recognize the harm it is causing to themselves and those around them, but get pulled back in. That initial burst of determination may last for a period of time, but triggers and stressful situations can easily cause a relapse. Relapse prevention therapy (RPT) can help you or a loved one break the cycle of addiction.
Insight Recovery Center offers addiction therapy in North Carolina. Call 828.826.1376 to learn more about relapse prevention therapy and get started today.
What Is Relapse Prevention Therapy?
Relapse prevention therapy is a form of cognitive-behavioral therapy that focuses on teaching skills and techniques to help individuals recognize and avoid high-risk situations that could lead to relapse. This type of therapy helps patients identify warning signs for relapse, develop coping strategies and build confidence in their ability to maintain their sobriety. Relapse prevention therapy is a proactive approach to helping individuals stay away from drugs and alcohol.
Benefits of Relapse Prevention Counseling
Relapse prevention therapy can offer many benefits depending on the individual’s circumstances. Some of the benefits of RPT include the following:
- Learning how to recognize and avoid risky situations
- Developing strategies for avoiding triggers
- Learning how to cope with cravings in a healthy way
- Gaining confidence and understanding addiction from another perspective
- Building resilience to prevent future relapses
These skills give individuals struggling with substance use disorder the best chance of overcoming situations that might lead to relapse.
What to Expect From Relapse Prevention Therapy in Asheville, NC
At Insight Recovery, our relapse prevention therapy is tailored to the needs of each individual. Our experienced counselors will work with you to develop a relapse prevention plan based on your unique needs and circumstances. We offer a comfortable, safe environment and focus on helping you recognize the signs of relapse early so that you can seek help before making any potentially dangerous decisions.
How Does Relapse Prevention Therapy Work?
Relapse prevention therapy involves working with a counselor to identify patterns of behavior that could lead to relapse. By recognizing and understanding the triggers that cause a person to use drugs or alcohol, patients can develop strategies for dealing with those situations without resorting to substance abuse. This type of therapy also helps individuals learn how to cope with cravings in safe and healthy ways.
Advantages of Relapse Prevention Therapy
The goal of relapse prevention therapy is to help individuals stay away from drugs and alcohol and sustain their sobriety in the long term.
- One of the main advantages of relapse prevention therapy is its ability to help those struggling with addiction identify and avoid high-risk situations that could lead to a relapse. By understanding their triggers, individuals can develop strategies for dealing with them in a healthy way. This could include tactics like changing their environment or engaging in an activity that will distract them from the craving. Additionally, developing new coping skills can give individuals more confidence in their ability to maintain sobriety and break the cycle of relapse.
- Relapse prevention therapy can also cultivate greater resilience and emotional strength, which assists in preventing future relapses by providing tools for coping with emotions such as stress, anxiety, or depression commonly associated with substance abuse disorder. By developing healthier methods of responding to negative emotions, those in recovery are better equipped to handle the challenges they face during their journey toward sobriety without resorting to drugs or alcohol as a means of escape.
- Finally, relapse prevention therapy offers individuals struggling with addiction insight into their condition by providing a framework for understanding addiction from another perspective. Through this process, individuals gain greater awareness of their behaviors and motivations, enabling them to make better decisions when faced with potential triggers and other difficult situations that may arise during recovery. This newfound knowledge helps them stay away from substances and sustain their sobriety over time.
This type of therapy can also be beneficial for individuals who have already relapsed, as it helps them identify the factors that lead to the relapse and develop strategies to prevent it from happening again.
Reach Out to Insight Recovery Center
If you or someone you know is struggling with substance use disorder, Insight Recovery Center can help. Our compassionate and experienced counselors offer relapse prevention therapy in Asheville, NC to individuals who need guidance and support on their journey to recovery. Contact us today at 828.826.1376 or online for more information about our services and how we can help.