Addiction is a complex and chronic medical disease that is often stigmatized and misunderstood. It involves intricate interactions among the body’s biochemistry and genetics and the influence of the environment. An individual caught in the cycle of addiction will indulge in drugs and/or alcohol —even when the outcome of the addiction leads to negative consequences. Addiction and relationships do not work well together, as the individual chooses drugs or alcohol over friends, family, and co-workers.
Insight Recovery Center in Asheville, North Carolina, offers a path to recovery in the form of a family therapy program. Our addiction treatment specialists use evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches to tailor a treatment plan that addresses addiction and the relationships affected.
If you or a loved one is facing addiction, you don’t have to fight it alone. We understand how difficult it can be to find the courage to seek help and begin a journey of recovery. Our goal is to provide you with the skills, knowledge, and support necessary for long-term recovery success. Call 828.826.1376 today to get started or learn more about our addiction services and programs.
The Ripple Effect of Addiction and Relationships
Addiction doesn’t only affect the person struggling with it—it also profoundly impacts those around them. This is most often seen initially in family relationships and among close friends.
- In marriages, addiction can lead to broken trust, financial problems, and even divorce.
- Parent-child relationships may be strained as children may grow up feeling neglected or bearing the burden of their parent’s addiction.
- Friends may feel betrayed, abandoned, or used when addiction is present in the relationship.
The ripple effect of addiction does not stop there—addiction and relationships outside of family and close friends, such as co-workers, can also be negatively impacted. Those struggling with substance use disorders often experience difficulty with employment due to absenteeism or poor job performance. This strain on work relationships can frequently lead to the following outcomes:
- Decreased trust and respect – When an employee struggles with addiction, their colleagues may begin to lose trust and respect for them. This can result from inconsistent behavior, failure to meet commitments, or compromising situations due to substance abuse. This loss of trust can drastically affect teamwork and collaboration.
- Increased conflict – Addiction can increase instances of conflict within the workplace. An affected individual may behave erratically or aggressively, creating a stressful environment. This can lead to interpersonal conflicts, hampering productivity and overall office harmony.
- Reduced productivity – Substance use disorders often lead to diminished focus and concentration, resulting in decreased productivity. An employee dealing with addiction may miss deadlines, produce substandard work, or be absent from work more frequently, adversely affecting the entire team’s output.
Addiction and relationships are inextricably intertwined, but professional treatment can offer a path to recovery.
Rebuilding Lives Through Treatment
Overcoming addiction is a challenging journey, but it does not have to be taken alone. Professional treatment like that offered at Insight Recovery Center in Asheville, NC, provides a lifeline to those seeking to rebuild their lives and discover a path to recovery.
Treatment programs are individualized, targeting the root causes of addiction and helping individuals manage triggers. These programs often include family therapy sessions and group therapy sessions.
- Family therapy allows family members to express their feelings, gain insight into the effects of addiction on the family dynamic, and learn how to better communicate and support one another.
- Group therapy offers therapeutic support from peers who are also struggling with addiction, helping individuals realize that they are not alone in their recovery journey.
At Insight Recovery Center, we understand that rebuilding relationships is a vital part of a successful path to recovery.
Reach Out to Insight Recovery Center Today
The path to recovery is not just about stopping substance use—it’s also about learning skills for a healthier, more balanced life. Loved ones play an essential role in the recovery process.
Their support, love, and encouragement can provide the strength needed to persevere through challenging times. Families and friends can also benefit from support groups, where they can gain insight into addiction and learn coping strategies to help their loved ones.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, remember this: recovery is possible, and help is available. Reach out to Insight Recovery Center in Asheville, NC, today by contacting us online or calling 828.826.1376. Start your journey towards rebuilding healthy and fulfilling relationships.