Prescription drugs save lives, but when misused, they can also destroy them. In America, prescription drug abuse has reached alarming proportions, posing significant health risks and societal challenges. In the case of opioids vs. opiates, both are painkillers and provide necessary relief from chronic pain or while recovering from major surgery or injury. Prescription drugs like Valium or Adderall also provide necessary medical benefits but carry risks of addiction and dependency.
Insight Recovery Center offers prescription drug rehab in North Carolina. We provide comprehensive outpatient treatment programs to help you or a loved one break the cycle of prescription drug addiction. Call 828.826.1376 today to learn more or get started.
Commonly Abused Prescription Drugs and Their Associated Risks
Prescription drugs are intended to help individuals manage a variety of health conditions. However, misuse can lead to serious health consequences. Here are some of the most commonly abused prescription drugs in America:
- Opioids – These include pain relievers like Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and Morphine. Misuse can lead to overdose, respiratory failure, and even death.
- Benzodiazepines – Used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders, drugs like Xanax and Valium can cause physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms.
- Stimulants – Prescription stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin, used for conditions like ADHD, can increase heart rate, blood pressure, and can lead to seizures or heart failure when misused.
Understanding the risks associated with prescription drugs and how they may impact your health is important.
Why Is Prescription Drug Abuse a Growing Problem?
Several factors contribute to the alarming rise of prescription drug abuse. One significant factor is the easy accessibility of these drugs, which often leads to misuse and addiction. Additionally, misconceptions about their safety, fueled by the fact that doctors prescribe them, can further facilitate their abuse. Many individuals seeking quick relief from physical pain, stress, or mental health issues turn to prescription drugs without fully understanding their potential risks and consequences. Addressing these underlying factors and promoting greater awareness about the dangers associated with prescription drug abuse is crucial to combat this growing public health concern.
The Role of Professional Addiction Treatment
Overcoming prescription drug abuse requires more than willpower. Professional addiction treatment offers comprehensive care, including medical supervision, counseling, and support groups.
Therapies Used in Treating Prescription Drug Abuse
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – This form of therapy helps individuals understand and change thought patterns that lead to harmful behaviors, including drug use.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) – This type of therapy helps individuals learn coping skills and techniques to manage stress, regulate emotions, and prevent relapse.
- Trauma therapy – Many individuals misuse drugs as a response to trauma. Trauma therapy addresses these underlying issues, helping individuals heal and reduce their reliance on substances.
- Meditative therapy – Meditation can help individuals better understand their thoughts and behaviors, providing them with the skills to manage cravings and reduce relapse risk.
- Relapse prevention therapy – This specific type of therapy equips individuals with valuable skills to identify and acknowledge potential triggers that may lead to relapse. Moreover, it empowers them with effective strategies and techniques to proactively evade such triggers, thus aiding in their journey toward recovery and long-term well-being.
- Group therapy – This type of therapy offers hope and support, enabling individuals to gain courage and strength from others who are on the same path.
By seeking professional treatment for prescription drug abuse, you can live a healthier life free from substance use.
Get Professional Help for Prescription Drug Abuse at Insight Recovery Center
If you or someone you know is struggling with prescription drug abuse, getting professional help is important. At Insight Recovery Center, our experienced addiction specialists provide comprehensive treatment for individuals suffering from prescription drug abuse and other substance use disorders.
Our outpatient treatment programs include a partial hospitalization program (PHP) offering around-the-clock supervision, highly structured treatment, and accountability, as well as an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that is often a step down from the more demanding PHP. Additionally, we have gender-specific treatment, including men’s rehab and women’s rehab programs.