When it comes to outpatient rehab for substance use disorder, there are a number of programs available. It can be challenging to tell the difference, especially between a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP). Insight Recovery Center in Asheville, North Carolina offers both and is committed to helping you find the right program that fits the specific needs of you or a loved one. The difference between a PHP vs. IOP is the intensity of scheduled treatment, accountability, the flexibility offered, and the amount of time that must be invested.
Insight Recovery Center can help you find the right outpatient rehab program that best meets your needs. Call 828.826.1376 to learn more!
What Is a PHP?
A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is a treatment program that offers an extremely high level of structure and accountability while still offering some flexibility. The primary goals of a PHP are:
- Develop and maintain abstinence from drugs and/or alcohol
- Teach life skills that support recovery
- Increase self-awareness of triggers and issues related to substance use
- Develop a robust support system for long-term recovery
Many operate during the day, allowing clients to sleep in their own beds at night. Many clients will step down to an intensive outpatient program, which offers greater flexibility while still providing a high level of structure and support. A partial hospitalization program can vary in length, but many are typically 5-7 days per week and 4-6 hours per day.
At Insight Recovery Center, our PHP accommodates up to 16 participants, all of whom will be closely supervised by our professional addiction treatment staff. The needs of the individual determine the total duration of the PHP. It can last for weeks or months, with many participants stepping down to another form of outpatient treatment after completion of the PHP.
What Is an IOP?
An intensive outpatient program (IOP) is similar to a PHP but requires a less demanding schedule and time commitment. It still offers a high degree of structure and accountability but is often the level of care that individuals transition into after completing a PHP. As they gain greater control over their life of recovery, they move to outpatient rehab programs that allow them to put the coping skills they’ve learned and the tools they’ve gained into practice. Additionally, an IOP is often less expensive than a PHP.
An IOP offers:
- Group therapy sessions
- Individual counseling and therapy
- Weekly recovery planning
- 12-step meetings and process groups
- Education on addiction, substance use, and relapse prevention
- Skill-building activities
At Insight Recovery Center, we are committed to helping individuals find the right treatment program and lead a life of recovery.
PHP vs. IOP: Which One Is Right for Me?
Finding appropriate addiction treatment depends on a variety of individual factors, such as the severity of the addiction, the degree of outside responsibilities (such as work or school) that must be maintained during treatment, and the existence of any co-occurring mental health disorders.
Generally speaking, patients requiring more structured treatment and accountability may benefit from a PHP. In contrast, those requiring less supervision and greater flexibility may benefit from an IOP.
You may be a good candidate for a PHP if:
- You have a severe addiction and need intensive support to get sober
- You have tried other treatment models without success
- You are unable to maintain a sober lifestyle without the structure of a more intensive program
- You have co-occurring mental health disorders that should be addressed during treatment
You may be a good candidate for an IOP if:
- You have a mild to moderate addiction
- You need an effective treatment program but also need to maintain outside responsibilities like work or school
- You have already completed a PHP and are ready for the next step in your recovery journey
At Insight Recovery Center, we offer both PHP and IOP programs designed to meet the individualized needs of our patients. Our expert, caring staff is here to help you find the right program for your journey to recovery.
Reach Out to Insight Recovery Center in Asheville, NC
Whether you choose to attend a PHP or an IOP, it is crucial to find the program that best suits your individual needs. If you are unsure which type of program is right for you or need help finding a program that is well-suited to your situation, reach out to us for assistance by calling 828.826.1376 or contacting us online.
Contact us today to learn more about our PHP and IOP programs and see how we can help you or a loved one.